a post that's suspiciously reminiscent of those chain e-mails that preach to you about how you shouldn't forget how good life really is. sorry.

Last week I was missing our old apartment and a life that was a little less complicated. But to be honest, I don't think it was the life I was missing. It was having a nice window behind my desk. Now, I just have a wall.

The truth is, I don't want my early twenties back. Sure, I was healthier and less committed then. But that also came with a lack of direction, career, confidence, and community that were less than groovy. It was important to experience those things once. But I don't want to do it again. Not even to get back that higher metabolism, lack of responsibility, or the supposed "potential" I left college with.

I slogged through those years, waiting for some of the things I have now. I was a little younger, but I was short-sighted. I was healthier, but unappreciative. I'm glad marriage was tough then, because it's even better now. I'm glad we've had to work for our house, because that work has made it a home. I'm glad I took a job that isn't all it could be, because I've made friends there who mean something to me.

Plus, I'm done waiting for so many things. I don't have to wait for Kara to finish school; she'll be done in May. I don't have to wait for my brother to come home from the Air Force anymore; he's here. And I don't have to wait for my sister to finish her global trekking; she's got a career and a fiancée.

So yeah, I get anxious about life, my health, my bills, and my job that isn't all it could be. But with those things has come so much more that's wonderful and fulfilling--and lasting. It's stuff that doesn't fall into your lap at 22. It's stuff you have to wait for, stuff you have to earn.

I put in my time and earned it once. Why would I want to earn it all over again? Plus, I'm not even 30 yet. I need to put in a few more years before I'm elligible to pine for days of yore.

3 comments:

The Portly Gentleman in Aisle 5 said...

Well said. I sent a link to your blog to the first five people in my address book.

Dave Everson said...

Good for you! Now your hair won't fall out, your family won't hate you, and your house won't fall into a bottomless sinkhole. Internet karma smiles upon you.

Anonymous said...

When I first read this post I was going to just kind of "ditto" what you were saying. Then I clicked the post title which led me to Garden State and I had an "Ahhh!" moment (like clarity and surprise mixed together, a very strange sound.)
I love that movie. There are so many good messages in it, my favorite being the part about having fun "exploring the infinite abyss." Sometimes I stop and remind myself or my husband that if we live our lives impatiently, rushing to the next big thing, we will wake up one day and have missed it all...