not good, but honest

20 years
you’ve haunted me
and I’ve lived more in the haunting than in the knowing.

You’ll forgive me if I don’t want to be haunted anymore.
I may forgive myself.

To reject your ghost
is to be torn again—
this time to tear myself.

What will regrow?
Or reattach?

Am I right to be more afraid than hopeful?
Can you understand peace?
Can you give it?

3 comments:

Liz Girard said...

Hi Dave,
I like your poem... I guess I can identify. For a long time I identified myself as the girl whose Dad is dead. And now that I'm ready to let that go, what to find?
Lizzie

Anonymous said...

this is great dave. it is very honest, i am instantly in your shoes and can empathize. i hope you'll continue posting more of your writing.

Dave Everson said...

e: what to find ... and will it be better?

s: thanks :)